Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Data encryption

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 13 January 2010]

Has anyone used any kind of encryption utility, OpenSSL, to encrypt data? I am in a situation that I need to encrypt some data before writing to a file.

Thanks!
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Data encryption

If the file is a vision file you can specify the WITH ENCRYPTION in the select. I don't know what sort of encryption it is or how strong it is tho...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If the file is a vision file you can specify the WITH ENCRYPTION in the select. I don't know what sort of encryption it is or how strong it is tho...

"Not Very" was the opinion of a developer I spoke to once. I could tell you who he was, but I'd have to... 😉

Good enough to deter a casual passer-by, not good enough to preserve your darkest secrets. And remember that Alfred will put it back into plain text...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I can confirm that Vision encryption is a simple cipher and not an industry standard encryption like 128bit. I recall a discussion with one of our users who indicated they had implemented TrueCrypt which is open-source free software. I cannot recommend TrueCrypt as I have not yet tested it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have been using Chilkat Encryption ActiveX for strong encryption (AES 256) with good results. Every Chilkat control I have tried has worked well in AcuCobol. It is not open source but it is very reasonably priced.
http://www.chilkatsoft.com/chilkatCrypt.asp
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I think I have this situation solved, at least for the time being. We are developing a Credit Card product in our Accounting software and we thought we were going to have to store the CC # in our data files and in order to be PCI compliant the CC # and other data MUST be encrypted. We have solved the underlying issue so we will not have to store the CC # or other data in our data files.

Thanks again to everyone here!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.