Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Disabled color

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 02 July 2007]

Does anyone know if there is a way to control the color of a disabled entry field?

We have maintenance screens that are disabled for display only and then enabled in change mode. Users complain that the gray on gray display of the disabled fields are hard to read.

We have submitted this issue to AcuCorp support but the only solution they offered was an unsupported program to reset the user's default DLL. This didn't work for us.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Disabled color

Hi,

We found this with our users also.

What we now do is leave it enabled, but set as READ-ONLY

Shaun
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun - Thanks for your reply! We set the ENABLE VARIABLE to turn the screen off and on. Using Read only do you have to modify each fiield individually on the screen and also change the color of each? Or is there a varaiable that can be used?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun - Thanks for your reply! We set the ENABLE VARIABLE to turn the screen off and on. Using Read only do you have to modify each fiield individually on the screen and also change the color of each? Or is there a varaiable that can be used?

Hi,

No variable unfortunately.
We have screens with the same setup as yours i.e. maintenance programs where you have to fill in the key before the screen fields are enables.

But on enquiry screens we just have the whole screen enabled and the fields which are for display only have the read only set to true.
This allows the field to be easily visible to the user instead of the greyed out non enabled field.

See first screen dump, field is dark, but with black text instead of the greyed out text in the second screen dump
The text colour is automatic which is why we went for that.

Shaun
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I use the Color Variable to change the field to be protected. This has the same affect as being enabled/disabled, yet you can control the background and forground. Color is a attribute that you can assign a variable to. To disable the field, I use a color value of 33025 and to set it back to being enabled, I use 257. Do not use a value of 0 as nothing will happen if you do. If you have the variable assigned to the control, after changing the value, you have to either display the control name or the screen. I found this to be better than the read-only attribute as the read only attribute still allows access to that field even though you can't change it. Plus, if you do a display call on the screen and the control wasn't read-only to start with, it can revert back to it's origonal setting. And the read-only has to be controlled using a modify command.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.