Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Distribution of Microsoft ActiveX from the 6.2 CD

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 07 February 2005]

I suppose most of you have read my article about the ActiveX components now being shipped inclusive on the ACUCOBOL-GT 6.2.0 installation CD. Look into the \MS\OCX directory on the CD.

If not, it is about time to fetch the latest and greatest of our newsletters to read about it. You can get it here: http://www.acucorp.com/company/newsletter/newsletter_pdf/newsletter_2004_3.pdf

Anyway, as I have promised in that article, I will discuss distribution and perhaps also some more code in this thread. I am not going to give a regular release date for my stories, you will just have to look around.

First story coming up is a discussion of how to distribute components and how to programmatically detect if they are installed, if need be, register them from within ACUCOBOL-GT.

Feedback is appreciated.
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Distribution of Microsoft ActiveX from the 6.2 CD

Sounds great, thank you Gisle. Perhaps there are other controls that Acucorp could bundle in the future. I hesitate to recommend any right now because there are so many!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gisle,

This is a topic that I am very much interested in. Knowing whether or not to register an Active-X control is something that the AcuCorp documentation doesn't really discuss at all. Outside of "regsvr32", AcuCorp doesn't give much assistance and I'd love to see a proven technique for doing this.

I know that you and I have discussed in the past about using a 3rd party tool for this. Are you suggesting that perhaps a 3rd party tool is overkill in some cases for determining whether to register an Acvtive-X control?

Thanks for offering help in this area - I'm very much interested!!

Rob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am sorry, but creating a COM wrapper is beyond the scope of the class.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gisle,
Have you tried the ListView control yet? It can use an imagelist to display images, but when I use w$bitmap op-code 5 for an imagelist, the ListView control rejects it. I get a memory access violation. Similiar code in VB works perfectly. My image is a 16x16 8bpp(256 color) bitmap.

Does this problem have something to do with the ListImage class having a Picture property which is an IPictureDisp type which is not available with w$bitmap until 7.0?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Dan,

I am sorry but the fact is there are two kinds of lmagelists in Windows, it is the one that is in fact a list, e.g. the one that we have implemented, and there is the ActiveX Imagelist, the one we have not implemented.

Thus, for your case, yes the alternative is the WBITMAP-LOADPICTURE in 7.0.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for any info that you give. We here would be glad to get info so that we can easier install our new "cool" stuff.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Originally posted by kwt10
We here would be glad to get info so that we can easier install our new "cool" stuff.

Excellent! Just promise me to tell about your cool stuff here, so that it can serve as an encouragement for others to do the same.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.