Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Entry field

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 03 August 2006]

I have a program that allows our employees to enter their work time every day. I have a numeric field called hours-worked that allows the employee to enter the amount of hours worked that day. When they enter this number and hit enter I need the program to execute a procedure that verifies the amount entered is within certain parameters.

The After Procedure Event property for the field is set to execute the verification procedure but it never executes. I have a similar program set up the same way and it works perfectly. After 2 years of using AcuBench it's still hit-and-miss when setting up any type of event or exception procedure. We never know when an event for a control that is set up in AcuBench is actually going to work.

Any suggestions? We're developing using Acubench and we're running AcuCOBOL-GT V6.2.

thanks in advance
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Entry field

Hello John

When I want to validate an entry field, I use the MSG-VALIDATE. This will call the procedure when leaving the field.

This works for me - I'm also using AcuBench 6.2

Regards
Kim
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the advice. But I have programs that use the same configuration file and the Entry Fields work properly when hitting the "Enter" key. It's just this one program (so far) that doesn't respond to the "Enter" key.

It seems the more I develop using AcuCorp's GUI the more inconsistancies I find.

But thanks again!

John
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On the form that works, do you have a button with the DEFAULT-BUTTON attribute, but not on the one that doesn't work?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have you got a default button on the screen? This will change behaviour of enter key.

You could use NOTIFY-CHANGE and ensure the accept terminates.

For the hours entry you mention, why not use a spinner with a min-val and max-val? This would do the validation you require with no additional coding?

Regards
Keith
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks JoeD and Kieth. I'll try your suggestion and let you know.

John
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In the screen that wasn't working properly I did have 1 push button with style DEFAULT. I changed it to style OTHER and now the entry fields work properly.
Is this fact only known to a secret society of some sort?

Thanks for all your help.

John
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Oh yeah. Chapter 5 Book 2. I saw that. But the part that explains that the DEFAULT-BUTTON automatically renders the return key useless in the rest of the screen must be written in the secret society's special invisible ink!

Thanks again!
John
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.