Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Error 94,10

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 25 June 2008]

Hello,

Why does the runtime issues the error 94,10 'too many files open' while I've made the Max_Files = 1024, is't a logical error from me, or should I increase this number?

Regards
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Error 94,10

You'll need to supply a bit more information. What Operating system are the files being written on? What version of ACUCOBOL-GT? Is AcuServer used? Is a Acu4GL used.
How many files get opened when the error occurs? Are you accomodating for Vison 4 or Vision 5 where two files are opened for each open statement?

For Unix, if the MAX-FILES config variable is set to a number that is larger than the maximum allowed by the kernel there will be a problem. Check the kernal value for maximum number of open files allowed. Adjust the kernel limit (if possible), or the MAX-FILES setting so they are not in conflict.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows-XP(SP3), Acu= 7.2.0 , Acuserver=No, Acu4Gl=No, Opened fiels around = 15
The problem happens only when two programs runs together on the same machine at the same time, here is the cenario:
Main program X calls program Y and Z afrter each others, program Y runs in a thread(programs runs like a batch, it opens almost 5 files), then program X calls program Z which has an interface with the user(program Z opens almost extra 10 files), here I get the error 94,10.
I don't used external config file, i use the MAX_Files from inside the program(prog X).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Does the program running in the thread use STOP RUN instead of GOBACK. If so, it effectively stops the runtime before it can return to the calling program. This would prevent the runtime from cleaning up open files.

Contact Tech Support, they have a C routine (numfiles.c) which may help you ascertain how many files your particular server will allow to be open.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Or possibly this

Its bigprog1.cbl from Acucorps sample programs.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You may also need to set MAX_LOCKS to match the MAX_FILES entry.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.