Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] File-Path and XML

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 23 March 2006]

I can't get the XML File-Path parameter to works when displaying a .net control.

If I just give a filename

FILE-PATH is "SymCFP.xml"

the documentation leads me to believe the runtime will look for the xml file in the runtime directory. But I get a
"No assembly loaded" message, the same message as is produced when the xml file is removed.

If I hard-code a full path into the file-path parameter such as

FILE-PATH is "D:\xml\SymCFP.xml"

I get the "File or Assembly name, xxxxx, or one of its dependencies, not found" message.

I have used both 7.0 and a beta of 7.2.

I have no problem if I put the control in the same directory as the run time.

I would be grateful for any help.
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] File-Path and XML

Have you checked that the xml file actually contains the proper path for your assembly?

You might be better of register it in the global assembly cache using regasm.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thankyou for your reply.

Yes, it contains the correct path, expressed in this form.

D:\temp\SymControls.dll

Is there another way to express it? I have even checked the case matches.

We do not want to use the Global Assembly Cache.

Is there anyone out there who has this working?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hm...

Last shot I have is to check that both Marshal.exe and acutonet.dll in the acugt\bin directory are properly registered in the registry.

If you are uncertain try run marshal /register and regasm acutonet.dll in the bin directory and see if it makes a difference.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you.

Further help from technical support showed that my PATH to the run time directory was faulty and I could then use the FILE-PATH.

I now have another problem. The dll I am using now generates events and I am having trouble with the location of the event dll.

I used a FILE-PATH to an XML file to give the dll location and left the event dll in the same directory as the main dll. When I caused an event I got a message saying "Event name - No registered handler".

I read the manual which said event dlls should be in the same directory as the runtime or listed in Netevents.ini, which should also be in the same directory as the runtime.

So I copied my event dll to the runtime directory. I got the message "File or Assembly name, xxxxx, or one of its dependencies, not found" when I loaded the control. I tried using netevents.ini but I could find no documentation giving its format, so I just put the full path to the event dll in it. This resulted in the same message.

I wonder:
What format should netevents.ini be in?
Why does it fail when I put the event dll in the run-time directory?

My event dll has a rather long name.
N:\Insight\v231\users\lduckworth\programs72\Symology.SymMap.SymInsightMapControl.SymInsightMapControl.dll

Would that make a difference?

I can still get the system to work by putting all the dlls in the runtime directory and not using a FILE-PATH xml file.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The netevents.ini is just a line sequential text file, you may have one path per line.
It appears the linelength is limited to 64, I am uncertain of why there is this limitation, I figure you will have to report it as a possible bug.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks.

Luckily I can still access my event dll if I put it in the root directory. D:\Symology.SymMap.SymInsightMapControl.SymInsightMapControl.dll is exactly 64 characters long.

So I have put my other dlls in a directory pointed at by the file-path xml file and my event dll in the root, specifying this to NetEvents.ini.

I get no error message but I also get no events. If I delete netevents.ini the same thing happens.

Is NetEvents.Ini is supposed to work with the XML file and the FILE-PATH?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Turns out I was a bit wrong here, it is the number of paths that is supposed to be limited to 64, but the paths themselves should not have that limitation.

The two should be usable together. I suggest you send in a test case to tech support.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for your help.

I looked at the manual again and saw that I should have been putting directory paths, not file paths in NetEvents.ini.

It works now.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.