Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Full window will not display on W2008 Server

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 12 March 2010]

Our runtime is Acu 8.1.2
I am having a weird problem that I would like to see if any of you have run
into this problem and know how to fix it.

We have a client that is running our software on a Windows 2008 server, when they run our software as an administrator it runs fine, all the screens display and the user can run everything without any problems. When they run it as a regular user, with full rights and ownership to the installed folder (C:\PBS), our Copyright window will display but the main application window will not, just the Title bar of the window will display. They can press enter and the login screen will display, main window is still just the title bar. They enter the user id and password and the login screen goes away and the main screen still will not display, just the title bar of the main screen. Since they can not see the screen to make any selections they have to press ESC 2 times to exit.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion.

Thanks,

Jim Whalen
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Full window will not display on W2008 Server

If this is reproducable on other W2008 servers too, I suggest you try Tech support.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have and they told me it was a permissions issue and that was beyond their support.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm taking some guesses here, one - does your main window contain bitmaps - are these bitmaps part of the acu library that you are running? Where is the runtime installed - local - remote? Window 7 and Windows 2008 has a subject called compatibility files, which means that even though you've installed in ... what you think is the Program Files .... it is really installed in the Users\user name\Program Files ..... check it out.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dilbert, thanks for your reply.

Yes we do have a bitmap on the main screen. Is there a problem with BMP files and 64 bit Servers?

Our software is installed in C:\PBS, but they have what I think is AcuBench installed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Acucorp folder. I ran the process in debug mode with trace set to 8 and ran the process. I then looked at the errfil and the second line is pointing to C:\Program Files (x86)..... I will copy in the errfil for you to view.

Start errfil (I only copied in the first 42 lines, there are over 20,000 lines in the file)

Runtime version 8.1.0
Set parameter 'ACUCOBOL' to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Acucorp\Acucbl810\AcuGT'
Using FAST mode for file access
Configuration file = 'cblconfi'
Set variable 'USE_SCN' to value 'G'
Set variable 'FULL_GRAPHICAL' to value 'Y'
Warning: TO does not match any of the following keywords: '1' '0' 'ON' 'OFF' 'TRUE' 'FALSE' 'YES' 'NO'
Set parameter 'WIN32_3D' to TRUE
Set variable 'NORMALIZE_FLG' to value 'Y'
Set parameter 'ICON' to 'P1.ICO'
Set variable 'USE_TAB_AS_ESC' to value 'N'
Set variable 'FONT_NAME' to value 'Lucida Console PSI Box Draw'
Set variable 'FONT_SIZE' to value '10'
Set variable 'BOLD_STATE' to value '1'
Set variable 'ITALIC_STATE' to value '0'
Set variable 'FIXED_PITCH_STATE' to value '1'
Set parameter 'MAX_FILES' to 256
Set parameter 'V_VERSION' to 4
Set variable 'USE_SAFE_READ_MODE' to value 'N'
Set variable 'DISPLAY_LOCAL_PRINTERS_POPUP_SCREEN' to value 'N'
Set parameter 'WINPRINT_NAMES_ONLY' to TRUE
Set variable 'WINDOWS_PRINTING' to value 'Y'
Set variable 'USE_COLOR' to value '11'
Set variable 'USE_PTOOLS' to value 'Y'
Set variable 'USE_PTOOLS_DIR' to value 'cus'
Set variable 'GUI_MODE_SW' to value '1'
Set variable 'SET_POP_SZ' to value '200'
Set variable 'SET_POP_ID' to value 'N'
Set variable 'SET_OS' to value 'W'
Set variable 'PT_FONT_NAME' to value 'Lucida Console PSI Box Draw'
Set variable 'PT_FONT_SIZE' to value '10'
Set variable 'PT_BOLD_STATE' to value '1'
Set variable 'SET_POP_SEL_CTRL' to value 'Line'
Set variable 'PT_MENU_FONT_NAME' to value 'Tahoma'
Set variable 'PT_MENU_FONT_SIZE' to value '9'
Set variable 'PT_MENU_BOLD_STATE' to value '0'
Set variable 'USE_GUI_PANEL' to value 'YES'
Set variable 'PT_SCR_FONT_NAME' to value 'Tahoma'
Set variable 'PT_SCR_FONT_SIZE' to value '9'
Set variable 'PT_SCR_BOLD_STATE' to value '1'
Try loading 'rwc.acu'...
rwc.acu loaded
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry the error file entries don't show anything. Is there anything on screen1 (the one that only displays the title bar) where the resources for that screen are not in C:\PBS? One of the issues with 2008 or Windows 7 is that a "user" does not have full access to the C:\Program Files directory, so if your program is doing stuff with the Windows API or perhaps looking for a certain font, you may have a permissions issue.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

if the program is executed by a different user with a wider set of permissions on the machine (Administrator, etc.) the window displays correctly. Have you looked into what permission differences there are between the standard user and the Administrator that could be changed and not give the end user Administrator privileges?

What about using the 'Run as Administrator' option on the shortcut.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We figured out the problem. We install some standard fonts with our software and when the software was installed, it was perform by Administrator. The users did not have permission for the font files.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.