Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Help automation

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 26 March 2004]

We use the help automation mechanism in our application to provide help information. Can we call the table of contents of the help file instead of a particular topic?
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Help automation

Could you please provide some source illustrating what you do today?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We use the procedure which described in ACUCOBOL-GT User Interface Programming ? Chapter 10: Help Automation.
We made a help processor Cobol program which named "ithelp", defined in configuration variable HELP_PROGRAM.
In our programs we define the HelpID for every screen. We also made a ".h" file (helpids.h) which contains the context IDs and in our help project file we added the statement "#include helpids.h" in MAP section.
The help works for every program, but we want to call the table of contents from the main menu. I tried to use the "$winhelp" routine, but I get the message "The topic does not exist?"
The zip file contains a demo project and the \hlpdemo\Project1\Object directory the required files.

Thank you.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

To get the "Table of Content" use:

CALL "$WINHELP" USING "help.hlp" HELP-CONTENTS
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok, I corrected it, but still don?t work. It appears the first topic and not the table of contents.
In addition, I?d like to ask if it?s necessary to use the HELP-QUIT operation when the application?s menu or a program closes. Note that we use only one help file in our application, with one topic for each program.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

To take the last first; Yes, you must explicitely close the help with HELP-QUIT.
I suspect you want to show the search dialog, but the Windows help system doesn't consider that the HELP-CONTENTS, what you get are in fact the HELP-CONTENTS, just try it with another help file, try for instance the acudebug.hlp
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.