Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] How to tell when a print job has finished?

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 30 March 2010]

I have a need to tell when a print job has finished.

I'm using a PDF printer and I want to copy the file, but (obviously) not until the job is complete.

Any ideas about how to do that?
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] How to tell when a print job has finished?

Hi Nigel

Don't quite know which PDF tool your using, but but we use cutepdf here.
After we close the print file (each print job is one or more invoices per customer for emailing) we use C$COPY to transfer from client to server.
If C$COPY returns a non zero value then the copy didn't work(Seems to know file is in use) and we try again
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

WIN$PRINTER has opcodes to query the spooler if a job has been finished. Obviously, if you have a large file, the driver may be busy getting around still, long after the spooler has been told the job is done. But that is as close as it gets.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Gisle, my problem is the potential lag between the job finishing spooling and the file being really there.

Shaun, thanks! I'll experiment with that. Life's pretty tough on this side of the fence, eh? 😉

(Oh, and it's your round, if I remember correctly...) 😛
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.