Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Killing old copies of MS Word

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 19 May 2009]

We use ACUCOBOL to build, using mailmerge, and display MS Word documents. Sometimes the user kills acuthin or it dies and leaves the MS Word application running. As this performs a mailmerge it can end up having various files open and when the user re-starts the application the new copy of Word cannot access these files. I need a way of killing the old copy of Word. I have saved the handle of the application in a file but when I detect this file and extract the handle and try to either QUIT() or destroy the MS Word application, acuthin dies with the message:

ACUCOBOL-GT Thin Client has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Does anybody have any suggestions please?
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Killing old copies of MS Word

The handle you have saved is unique for the particular instance of ACUCOBOL-GT and cannot be reused by other instances of the runtime.
Unfortunately, I believe your only method of shutting down pending instances of MS Word is either by the task manager (which involves user interaction) or restarting the machine.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.