Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Linkage AcuCobol-Java

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 02 April 2010]

Hello ,

I have been struggling with getting the Java-Cobol Interoperability to sucessfully work , the issue seems to be the linkage . Below is how the linkage looks

01 LINK-FIELDS.
05 LINK-MEMBER-ID.
10 LINK-SUB-ID PIC X(12).
10 LINK-MEM-SUF PIC X(02).
05 LINK-NAME.
10 LINK-LAST-NAME PIC X(20).
10 LINK-FIRST-MI.
15 LINK-FIRST-NAME PIC X(13).
05 LINK-ZIP PIC 9(09) COMP.
05 LINK-AREA-CODE PIC 9(03) COMP.
05 LINK-TELEPHONE PIC 9(07) COMP.

1. Does any one know what the linkage-signature shoudl look like in this case ?

2. Does AcuCobol-Java support multiple levels in the linkage ?

Thanks ...
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Linkage AcuCobol-Java

Hello Rahul,

I believe the linkage signature will be "X12X2X20X13III". Although I haven't tested it.

Section 2.4 of the Guide to Interperating has details about Java Data types.

Note that in the USAGE clause documentation (sec 5.7.1.8 in the Ref Manual) we see that COMP is the same as COMP-4 with ACUCOBOL-GT.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Linkage AcuCobol-Java

Hi,

Why would anyone use comp fields to represent zip, area and phone number in the year 2010. We are in the GHz era and there is no need to send anything but strings.

I would have made the linkage item a PIC X(200) or some other suitable length.

If you still want to treat some fields as numbers I suggest you convert them to that in the Java program.

regards,
Hans
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.