Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Memory access violation

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 21 December 2007]

We have a problem that we have not been able to solve.

We have a text version of our software that we run under AcuCobol 2.3 and Acucobol 6.1 and the programs work, no problem. When we try and run these programs using 7.0 or 7.1 runtime we get a memory access violation error when we are accepting fields from the screen. This error is caused by an index out of bounds. What I need to know is why does the code work in 6.1 but not 7.1 and is there a way to get around this error without changing code.

Thanks,
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Memory access violation

Not quite sure on the overall answer.

However I know that we experienced a load of MAV's when we moved to 7.2

Acucorp created 4 patches for us, and based on what I now know I'd personally suggest moving to V8.0 - I can tell you we are.

Shaun
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun,

Do you have the patches that acucorp gave you?
Did they solve the problems?

Thanks for your help.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

They didn't solve all the problems i'm afraid, but definately the vast majority.

I'd really suggest you get you're hands on a copy of V8.0.
I know that even with the patched 7.2 we have there are substancial memory leaks under thin client on Unix.
I've an example on here if you search which has a leak of 1000+ bytes every call

If you really want to stick with 7.2 I'm sure I could get you the relevant ECN's
But I still think you'd be better off with 8.0

Shaun
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, I think we will upgrade to v8.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.