Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Menu....Strange Behavior

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 03 December 2004]

We have created multiple screens with menus on them. When these menus are ran from Windows 2000 machines everything works fine. When these menus are ran from XP machines the "_" under specific letters do not appear until the ALT key is pressed.

The only difference is the operating system in the equation, our program is being run via thin-client from a UNIX box (same program in both cases).

Does anybody have any clues why the "_" appears differently on the two systems?

We want it to work like the 2000 systems so that the users can see that the ALT-key is available to them.

I have attached a multi-page TIG image showing what we see.

Thanks for any help.
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Menu....Strange Behavior

This is the default behavior on Windows XP when using the Windows XP theme, instead of the Classic theme. You temporarily toggle them on and off by pressing the Alt key.

To get the underscores to appear by default, go to your display settings in the control panel(or right click desktop and select properties). Then click the Appearance tab, and then the Effects button. The last checkbox in the list is what you are looking for(Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation...). Uncheck it. And click OK and then Apply. The menu underscores should now appear by default.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Menu....Strange Behavior

Thanks for the answer. If I would have had time I might have been able to find this switch (SOMEDAY!!!)

Thanks for keeping me developing and not digging thru windows settings.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.