Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Microsoft Date Time Picker Problem

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 06 April 2006]

Hello,
We are converting to 6.2 from 6.0, but we are having a problem with the Microsoft Date-Time pickers in our projects. In all of our programs the DT pickers appear on the screens in Screen Design and the programs all compile cleanly. On some programs the DT pickers work fine but on others they don't appear at all, with only a gray box in place of them. Even within the same project, some programs work and some don't.
Has anyone else run across this?
I know Acubench 6.2 has it's own DTP, but we would rather not have to replace our Microsoft DTP's, as we use a lot of them!

Thanks
0 Likes
14 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Microsoft Date Time Picker Problem

Make sure that the ocx or dll that you were using is registered

/windows/system32/regsrv32.exe
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I believe the ocx is registered.
You would think the control would work either all the time or none of the time, but it works some of the time.
Say I have 2 programs in Project A called X and Y.
The DT picker in X doesn't work. If I copy-paste the control to a screen in program Y, the DTpicker WILL work in program Y. If I copy-paste the DT picker back to Program X, it will NOT work.
Very strange!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have you tried to delete the resource file associated with control. put the control back on screen x and see if that changes anything.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I tried deleting the contols, clearing out the resource file and re-adding the controls but I still get the same result
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I wanted to continue on this same tool, but I have placed this on a screen and when I go to another computer it does not show up and causes an invalid handle error.

Does anyone have any idea how we fix that error?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

See if the machine where the problem occurs has the

C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCTL.dll registered.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I will do that, but I can state almost for sure that it does not. I guess what I am really looking for is how to add Active-X type controls to a screen then have it so that screen can still be used by everyone. Does anyone know if there is anything in Acu to distribute this type of DLL and register it the first time someone goes to a screen or do I have to code this?

I have coded this before for another control I used but was hoping that this would only be the case for what I would consider non-standard or less used controls.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We use the standard command line - regsvr32 controlname.ocx to register controls on each workstation. We have a program that does all of these at once.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If I understand you right, you have implemented the Microsoft ActiveX date time picker, not the DATE-ENTRY control in ACUCOBOL-GT.

To answer your last question first; If you code an ActiveX, you code it properly and make sure the required files are distributed and registered, such a program should be available to all (limited to Windows of course).

If you get the grayed box, it is not a problem with the DLL/OCX not being registered, it most certainly is. but the control is simply not activated. This can be due to a number of reasons.

It might be an issue with the license key, as Steve suggests, it could be that the embedded license key generated by Acubench and stored in the resource file somehow is not a match.

It can be a confusion between the ACUCOBOL-GT property ENABLED and the ActiveX itself may have a similar property. To distinguish these you should use the @ prefix, e.g.: @ENABLED

I think your best bet is to try to figure out what is the difference between two programs, one which is work and one where it does not, then we can take it from there.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The issue I am having is merely with distribution. We have a few hundred client locations that we do not have access to the desktop computers at. We merely update the .acu object files on the server and when the user activates our application they are running whatever object is on the server.

My problems is if I code a new active-x feature and put that object out on our client servers, it will fail anywhere someone tries to use the updated program unless they happen to have already registered the control.

We do not update individual workstations nor do we distribute our software using an installer type application. What I'm looking for is how to handle distribution so if a user runs this screen they do not get an abend. Further more a way to have it so I can update/register the control to the desktop computer running the application if need be.

thanks, Mike
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do you use thin client Mike?

Shaun
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.