Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Microsoft Office Interoperability

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 02 February 2005]

Acucorp, Inc. is considering developing a designated training for interoperability with Microsoft Office applications.

This will include the following:

o The Microsoft Office object model

o Exercises

o Examples

It will target the modules; MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook and MS Powerpoint.

I will kindly ask the users of the forum for suggestions of:

o What kind of exercises/examples that would be desireable.

o What kind of technology questions.

o More?

Please provide feedback, this is a training for you.

Gisle
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Microsoft Office Interoperability

Sounds great!

Much of what I will list you have probably already thought about, but I'll post it anyway 🙂 I'll mention that the book "Microsoft Office 2000 Visual Basic Programmers Guide" was helpful to me, and that Chapter 5 "Working with Office Applications" gives concise but useful explanations of working with objects from each office module.

o What kind of exercises/examples that would be desireable.
To me, the three most important modules are Word, Excel and Outlook.

Word - A diagram of the object model with brief explanation.
Samples for Merge with template creation and data merge. Formatting of text with colors/fonts, etc.

Excel - A diagram of the object model with brief explanation.
Samples for filling cells, creating formulas, formatting cells with color/fonts, adding a chart. Showing automation versus loaded file technique. Showing a blend of both.

Outllok - A diagram of the object model with brief explanation.
Samples for creating email with attachements, creating contacts, creating tasks and creating appointments. Also how to retrieve them as well.

If there is time:
Powerpoint - A diagram of the object model with brief explanation.
Samples to create slides with text formatting and image insertion.

If there is time:
Access - A diagram of the object model with brief explanation.
Sample to create a new database and populate tables with data. Sample to read data from tables.

o What kind of technology questions.
Explanation of COM automation server and how it differs from Activex.

o More?
I would definately use the AxDefTool from Davide at acucorp italy. Everyone should get this on the samples CD.
Make sure there is plenty of good material for people to take home with them. Diagrams can be very helpful. Also a list of suggested resources. Books, websites, etc.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Microsoft Office Interoperability

I would like to see an example of a COM wrapper for the AcuCobol runtime that will allow AcuCobol to be a trusted source for Outlook. Otherwise, the security messages appear everytime you access the Outlook database.

Rob
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.