Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Multiple selection in list box

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 22 June 2009]

I use a list box to display a list of prints that a user can manipulate (print,email, copy delete etc.) and wish to allow the user to select multiple instances for deletion. Does anyone have any idea how this might be achieved?
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Multiple selection in list box

I believe that you will need to use a grid control versus a list box. When user selects item x you need an event procedure to then hold that item, know that the control key is used and again get the next selected item. There may be ActiveX controls that make this feature easier.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I use a grid for this type of action - lists are not any good for it. I also use a pseudo checkbox in one of the grid columns for showing which items are selected.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Great news guys thanks. How do I detect that the user has control clicked? I assume that I should use msg-heading-clicked, but what tells me this happened with the control key held down?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That is not what we do - and why we include the pick box in the line of the grid. User just clicks on the tick box in the grid column to slect/deslect the item(s). Hidden behind the bitmap of the tickbox is a field with value 0 = not selected/ticked, 1 = selected/ticked. When any action is taken that looks at a group of items in the grid, those with a value 1 in that column are actioned.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have attached a screen shot of the way we do the multiple selection in case that assists you.
Keith
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you so much Micr35180. This is just what I needed, and your screen print gave me some further ideas on how to make it all look pretty. I owe you one!

Regards

Nick Brook - CCS (2002) Ltd, Rawtenstall, Lancs :):):)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

A pleasure and I'm glad it was useful. If you need any further help let me know.
REgards
Keith
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.