Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] MySQL for Linux/UNIX

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 20 May 2005]

I am a looking for all Acucorp customers who are interested in support for MySQL on a Linux or UNIX platform. Is there anyone out there who wants this support (It would be an Acu4GL for MySQL product, or Acu4GL for ODBC on Linux and UNIX).
0 Likes
18 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] MySQL for Linux/UNIX

Hmm, Acu4GL for ODBC on Linux and UNIX, now that sounds interesting if this would also allow us Linux client access to MS SQL server. Yes, I know, I changed the subject. Silly me. 😃
We don't have an immediate need for MySQL, but we might down the road.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Dan;

Thanks for responding, anyway 🙂
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Marilyn,
We have had many inquiries from clients, so we would be interested in Acu4GL for MySQL.

Richard "Rocky" Softcheck
EDC Inc.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have some interest in this, Marilyn.

Rob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, we would have some interest in this also.

However, we found the Acu4GL product to be a bit of a square peg for a round hole.

Still, this could have it's uses for external interfacing.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think you guys should consider implementing support for PostgreSQL in addtion to/instead of mysql. The database is much stronger for business apps than mysql.

Also, it has a number of features that make it ideally suited for development of ISAM applications, and it is very close to oracle in funtionality.

Merlin
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you everyone. This subject has not been dropped and is being actively pursued. Your responses are appreciated.:D
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I heard that someone has already connected to MySQL using Acu4GL for DB2 :confused:

Do you know if this is correct? If so, can you share information with us about how it can be done?

I have a customer who is pushing now for us to interact with a MySQL database :rolleyes:. Any suggestions about how we could do this now if Acu4GL for MySQL is still 6 months away?

Thanks
Ian Blackwell
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Blacky;

Yes, we have had customers connect to MySQL on Linux using Acu4GL for DB2. We are currently in the process of certifying MySQL for that product, but the QA testing isn't done yet. The reason that Acu4GL for DB2 works with MySQL is that Acu4GL for DB2 uses the ODBC connection to the database the runtime is linked to. So if you relink the runtime with MySQL libraries instead of DB2 libraries, you are connected to MySQL.

There was one problem that was solved by setting a DB2 variable. I don't remember which one, but it is in Acucorp's database, so you can call technical support and they can tell you.

Also, if you consider this option, keep in mind that no one has implemented it in production that I know about, and that the product isn't supported (yet, though if QA is successful we will support it when certified). Also, this method uses the ODBC interface to MySQL. I highly advise testing. And when Acu4GL for MySQL is released, that might be a better olution for you.

Why don't you call or email your account manager (Cindy or Mary) and talk to them about trying this? Good Luck!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When you say

this method uses the ODBC interface to MySQL

does that mean that the client runtime would need to be on Windows?

We prefer to have all our runtimes running on the Unix/Linux server with the thin client giving us the GUI.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No, you would use MySQL's ODBC API library (libmyodbc3.so) for your platform. I know they have one for Linux at least
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.