Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] New Page in Sequential Files

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 05 December 2005]

Hi,

I have to remove printing sequences from a sequential file.

I have tried to read it sequentially, and write each line in a other file without the printing sequences, but I lose the "new page" information.

Page height can be variable, so I can't do something like that:
If no-record = page-height
write print-rec after page
else
write print-rec
end-if.

I have to keep the "new page" info because it's useful for the application (StremServe) who get the printing file .

Idea ?
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] New Page in Sequential Files

If the sequential file already has the page feed control codes within it then why remove them when copying the records from one file to another?

A page throw is normally a Control-L (hex 0C) in a sequential file.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We had in the past the same problem. Seems so that cobol ignores the "new page sign" during reading.

Only solution we found was to create a separat print-file where no "write after page" is used and set a never used sign like "?" to mark the new page.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thanks for reply

I've found the solution :

I was reading the file "line sequential" instead of "binary sequential".

I'm able now to see "new page" (0C) and I can also remove printing sequence.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.