Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] New XP Theme look

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 03 October 2005]

At the conference this year, several has inquired for the new XP Theme style, to give a more modern look.

Due to compatibility issues, the ACUCOBOL-GT runtime has still not implemented the direct support for the new extended controls that ship with XP.

There is however a way you can get this new look.

Microsoft did by the time they released XP want to provide also existing applications with the new look, albeit, they realised some applications might not operate properly so they made the change dynamic. This was accomplished by introducing a technique that they refer to as a manifest.

The manifest is present in form of a file, the file then is just a plain xml file which tells in details what controls the application supports.

There has been a few issues with the new controls and ACUCOBOL-GT, but as of version 7 I believe we have them fixed.

The trick with the manifest file is that it is named the same as the executable, except an additional extension is added; .manifest.
Which means, for our default runtime for instance, the file is stored as:
wrun32.exe.manifest.

For the file to be functioning, it must be stored together with the runtime executable, e.g. in the directory which the wrun32.exe is.

Finally, to get the new look, XP Theme must be enabled on your computer.

Attached to this message, you will find an archive (manifest.zip) containing three files.

V7old.jpg, which is a print screen of the sample PrnDemoX application with the 7.0 runtime without the manifest file.

V7new.jpg, which is a print screen of the sample PrnDemoX application with the 7.0 runtime and the manifest file.

Wrun32.exe.manifest which is the file to be stored along with the runtime to make it use the new XP look.

XP is of course a prerequisit to have this functionality.
0 Likes
25 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] New XP Theme look

Thanks for the zip file!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gisle,

Included a screenshot with the manifest-file.
My Radio-buttons and Check-boxes have normaly a Gray background and a White foreground.

With the manifest-file the foreground-color changes in Black so there must still be something not working, or is it because I still don't use Runtime 7.0.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When you override system colors, e.g. use colors that differs from the system defaults, these are not being mapped.

I would expect that changing your application colors to the standard system colors should address this.

If not, a small reproduceable is always appreciated. If there is someting odd, I would like to know, so I appreciate this feedback.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How would you do this in an AcuThin environment?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just the same, albeit instead of naming the manifest file wrun32.exe.manifest, you would name it acuthin.exe.manifest.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I try to use wrun32.exe.manifest and acuthin.exe.manifest and it is a nice discover see our application with XP graphic.

Only one question.
I see that the graphic do not change for the push button that have a bitmap. There is way to give to this button the same XP graphic?

I attach one of my screen.

Thx, bye

Antonio Donato.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is because they act a bit different from the normal buttons.
We have the same issue with labels (can be workaround by setting to transparent) and radiobuttons, checkboxes that are displayed on tab controls. We are aware of this, but cannot promise any time for a fix yet.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I need some help on running the manifest through thin client. I am currently excuting acuthin.exe off of my local pc. When I rename wrun32.exe.manifest to acuthin.exe.manifest and try to execute windows wants to open it with another program. Not an executable. When I rename it to acuthin.exe I get the back DOS screen with nothing in it and the curser jumping around.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I need some help on running the manifest through thin client. I am currently excuting acuthin.exe off of my local pc. When I rename wrun32.exe.manifest to acuthin.exe.manifest and try to execute windows wants to open it with another program. Not an executable. When I rename it to acuthin.exe I get the back DOS screen with nothing in it and the curser jumping around.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

U have anyway to run acuthin.exe not acuthin.exe.manifest.
Nedd only acuthin.exe.manifest to be present on the folder with acuthin.exe.

Bye

Antonio
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have added the manifest file to my application and am pleased with the XP look. However, I notice one anomaly- my status lines have disappeared.

Is this a known problem? I am using the 7.2 runtime and compiler.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I think I've mentioned this before, or seen it reported elsewhere, but the manifest file doesn't work well with the title of frame, check-box and radio button controls when displayed on a tab control. I've attached an image showing the titles for frames and check-boxes which have a different background colour to other controls (e.g. text fields) on the screen. You'll have to trust me that radio buttons have the same problem.

If you use these controls on screens without tab controls, then they display fine using the manifest file.

The same problem will occur with text fields unless you specify the transparent property to be TRUE.

Can you tell me if there is a solution in the pipeline for this problem? Will you be adding TRANSPARENCY to titles of frames, check-boxes and radio buttons?

Ian
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.