Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Ocx - Idl - Tlb

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 09 September 2005]

I have to write software to catch the weight of a weighscale. In the software of the weighscale, there are 3 files delivered.
...OCX - ...IDL - ...TLB.

Since I don't have any knowledge of Visual Basic or C; I think these IDL & TLB files are to be used by these languages or not ?

Otherwise, does these files mean anything to AcuCobol and what do I have to do with them ?
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Ocx - Idl - Tlb

You only need the .ocx for end users.

The IDL is an Interface Definition Library file and the TLB is the Type LiBrary file.

Certainly the IDL file is not needed for Acucobol development. The Microsoft IDL compiler (MIDL.EXE) compiles the IDL into the TLB file.

I don't know for sure if AXDEFGEN uses the TLB file or not to generate the .DEF file - I suspect not.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Ocx - Idl - Tlb

AxDefgen does not use the typelibrary file. .OCX is all that is required.

For general information; Note that ActiveX may also appear as .DLL.

So, if interfacing an ActiveX, what you need is a file with the extension .OCX or .DLL.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.