Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Outlook warning message

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 10 June 2009]

We have a simple program that will send text messages after hours to a cell phone. When The application is running on a window 2000 server message prompts like "a program is trying to automatically send e-mail on your behalf." pop-up which is no good at all because the application that sends the email is running with no user interaction. Is there any way we can turn off these messages?

Also on a side note, when the application is running on a Windows XP machine we do not get any of these messages. It must be a setting within outlook itself or if there is a way to turn them off thru the API that would be great.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Outlook warning message

The dialog is a consequence of Microsoft's attempt to prevent virus infected machines from sending spam. There is a solution to it, you can build your own or buy one. This one has been successfully implemented by other users of this forum http://www.add-in-express.com/outlook-security/
It is odd though, that you do not experience this on the XP, now, having said that, it is not the Windows itself that control this, but the Outlook software. Perhaps the Outlook on the XP is not updated to have this "feature".
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

After some more research, I did come across the solution you mentioned here.

I also found that it can be configured to turn off this behaviour ONLY if you are using a Microsoft Exchange Server. Which explains why I experience it on the 2000 Server machine and not the XP machine. On the XP machine I am connecting to an Exchange server and on the 2000 machine I was connecting to a Gmail pop3 account.

This 'feature' isn't so important to us to purchase a 3rd party solution. But has anyone successfully used Sockets or something else to connect to a gmail account and send messages?

Maybe there is a better way to send text 'alert' messages to cell phones instead of sending emails to the phone#@sms.provider.com.

Anyone else doing anything like this?
Thanks for your insights.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I once made an example on how to send emails using c$socket, this was further enhanced by a company KISS in Germany. They were kind enough to share this source with us here at the forum. I don't remember where it is, but if you search for mail, I am pretty sure you will find it.

As to other ways to send text to mobiles, yes there are indeed better ways. One that I myself implemented for the conference in San Diego in... Oh, my memory beats me. Perhaps it was 2002... Anyways, that demo illustrated how to connect to the phone company's sms (text) server and send text messages directly.

This service, albeit not proprietary (protocol provided by NOKIA free of charge), has not been widely available. For the demo, we used Vodafone in Sweden as partner.

I suggest you ask a network provider if they offer such a service. If they do, I will be happy to post the code once used for the demo.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I actually stumbled across a small application that we used for another purpose that will send emails from a command line all's it needs is an SMTP Mail host to connect to and away it went. So I bypassed MS outlook altogether. Thanks for all you insights tho 🙂
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.