Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] -P SPOOLER failure via Thin 6.2.0.1 on WinXP Client

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 25 May 2005]

Hello Everyone,
during my last tests on an AcuConnect (W2003 Server) ver. 6.2.0.1 I found a possible bug in Thin printing system.
Each time I try to write the first line of a file assigned to printer, on WinXp client I get an error fron Msvcr71.dll that exit the application. This happens only on WinXp clients and on Win98 no error is raised.
I built up a program using Acucorp Winspool sample to partially reproduce it: partially because with this program it happens only if someone is debugging the application.
The compiled source and object are attached.
Someone's has noticed a similar behaviour?
Thank in Advance, Giovanni.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] -P SPOOLER failure via Thin 6.2.0.1 on WinXP Client

MSVCR71.DLL is the Microsoft Visual C runtime version 7.1. ACUCOBOL-GT has since 6.2.0 been built with this, as such it should be redistributed together with the thin client to platforms that might use any ACUCOBOL-GT product.
This is documented with the product.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Gisle, I know what Msv*.dll is, the problem is that trying to send a print via -P SPOOLER-DIRECT method, just after the open output of printer stream, on a such configuration that I described (server W2003 with acurcl+acuthin 6.2.0.1, client XP Pro) and njust when I try to do a
write printer-stream-record after 0,
Acuthin generates a protection error in that .dll.
In my full application it's always raised, otherwise in the test app I posted the error is raised only if I debug step by step the application, and not if I fully run it.
Could You be able to reproduce it?
Thanks in advance Giovanni.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Your problem description reminds me of the sympthoms behind ecn3041. I suggest you contact Tech Support, provide them with a test program (making a reproducing example is your responsibility) and ask them to test if ecn3041 corrects the issue.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Gisle,
I made a reproducible example of the problem and it was posted as attachment of my first mail.
I couldn't be able to find description of ECN 3041 ( I suppose it's a 6.2 ECN, but this section ISN'T ON LINE! in Acucorp's support site), could you give me more details about that ecn?
Again: many thanks for Your support!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ecn 3041 is a 7.1.0 change. Here is the description:

"In 6.2.0 remote printing was enhanced to handle printing more than 1000 characters if required. This introduced a small flaw in that the flag that should distinguish between the two was incorrectly set outside the buffer that actually is transferred. The consequence was that the recepient on the other side read the buffer technique out of the first character of the text to print. "

You should report this to Technical Support and send your sample program so it can be tested/researched.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.