Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Path to system program using acuthin

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 04 October 2008]

When calling a system program using "call C$system command, all works well when I telnet in.

When I use Acuthin, I get nothing. no exeption, no message, no nothing.

I am guessing is had something to do with the path. I am thinking the local machine is the acuthin client machine not the server when using acuthin.

Can I put an absolute path in the command name that would include the server by ip or name? What would be the format.

Is that the problem?

Thanks

david
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Path to system program using acuthin

You can put an absolute path in the system call - no problem. The absolute path would be as if you were executing on that system. So, if it's UNIX/Linux it would be "/usr/mydir" or whatever. For Windows it would be "C:\MyDir". This is because the runtime is executing on the server, just as if you were using it via telnet.

The system call will default to the server unless you use @DISPLAY syntax to force it to use the client. I think the working directory is stored in acurcl.ini for the server.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well that was interesting. Because the calling program was called from a menu that had no alias in the acurcl.ini, I added the alias and got some results. It now calls the program, but the input and output don't show on the screen using acuthin.

Is there a way to call a system program and link the input/output to the screen?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I don't know how to do this if the system call is on the server and the user interface is on the client... Except to redirect the output to a file and then display the contents of that file.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

May I ask, why do you want to do a call system in the first place?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have several non-cobol things to see.

1. Using hylafax as the fax server. Want to see the log of sent items. ( faxstat -d ) Works fine in Telnet, not Acuthin.

2. print forms in postscript upon request by sending them to lpr. ( might be able to do that in cobol, but have file with multiple forms listed to make a single request.)

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Good reasons. 🙂
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When running a program via Thin Client the Runtime on the server is not associated with a console so there is nowhere for a script to display anything. Your program can call C$SYSTEM to launch a script but if it displays something you will not see it. Neither will it be able to accept input from a user.

You'll have to use Robstan's suggestion to redirect output to a file then read it in the COBOL program so it can be displayed to the user.

User input for the script can be received in the COBOL program and passed to the script.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.