Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] PostgreSQL and AcuGT

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 26 June 2003]

Using the c$redirect routine, I was able to get the AcuGT runtime to read and write files to postgres instead of the vision file system! (including start, etc.) Performance is tunable and quite fast, about as fast as AcuServer (much faster than a network share over a windows network).

This is all very experimental, not really suitable for a production server (or a replacement for acu4gl), but it can be done with C compiler and a little gumption. If anybody is interested in the details, I could explain how I did it.

Merlin
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] PostgreSQL and AcuGT

Hi Merlyn,
great stuff!
are you interested in DBMS?
We use DBMaker as DB, accessing with DCI, that access directly
to the DB API, instead of sending SQL commands as Acu4GL does,
and it is very fast, comparable to Vision in client server environment.

More info on:
http://www.dbmaker.com

ciao
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] PostgreSQL and AcuGT

I wrote a library very similar to dbmaker (it is kind of a pet project of mine). It utilizes almost the exact same approach, although some things were done differently. It was interesting to see how it was done by a commercial company. My company is still considering the move to an SQL based solutotion..I hope they go with it!

I think postgres is the best SQL server available right now, bar none. Extended features of SQL become very important when you have a legacy cobol database that has a lot of wierd constructs and requires odd queries to create reasonable views. When I run my cobol applications using the server they are incredibly fast. It was not a terribly difficult job to write all the components of a cobol->sql library.

Merlin
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.