Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Print-preview

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 17 January 2003]

I am searching a way to have a print preview that will work with every windows platform(95,98,me,2000,xp,nt) and capable to manage graphical image and to manage that in a program cobol without crystal report
If somebody have some sample that will be helping very much.
0 Likes
12 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Print-preview

Your best bet would probably be to try out one of those print engines that creates Adobe pdf files. That way you would get the most of it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do you have one in mind? or do you have other way without the graphical part.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We write reports to PDF files using VSVIEW from ComponentOne (http://www.componentone.com/products.aspx?ProductCode=1&ProductID=69).

It's an ActiveX control - you can also use it to do a generic Print Preview also.

You should be able to use it directly in a Cobol program, but we currently do not. We use it in a somewhat indirect method. The report is written to a temporary LINE SEQUENTIAL file, then we run a VB program that reads the report file and converts it to PDF using VSVIEW, then starts Acrobat on the file.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I don't remember any names, I just know we have had multiple requests from customers about this, and they have found alternatives partly together with us and partly on their own. If you want, I am sure Tech Support can provide you with details if you contact them.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Checkout pdf995 at http://www.pdf995.com
Creates a windows printer that generates pdf files. This way any windows application that can print to a windows printer works with pdf995. The free version pops up browser ads, or end users can purchase for $9.95 and stop the ads. There is an ini file that you can edit before sending print job to control filename and location, etc.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I use the free text2pdf utility written by Phil Smith to produce simple pdf files. This is a small program written in C (On the website you can download a precompiled binary for Windows, but you can also download the source to compile it under various Unix versions).

When I want a print-preview, I assign the print-file to something like "-P text2pdf -L -A4 -s10 -l46 -c134 >preview.pdf". After that I can open the PDF file in acrobat or inside the Web Control.

Andr
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I use a program called FinePrint 2000. It creates a Windows printer similar to the PDF printers suggested by the other postings. What I like about FinePrint is that it has many additional features such as booklet printing, multiple pages on a single sheet of paper, but most importantly, it can print custom laser forms, watermarks, etc.

You can create a form using anyWindows product, print it to a FinePrint printer, save it to disk. It can then be applied to any output stream you like. You can even save the form as a virtual printer (i.e. Invoice Printer) and then print directly to it without any user interaction. Works really slick.

I think it's a little pricy ($39 per seat) compared to freeware/shareware pdf solutions but I like it's ease of use and feature set. I especially like that it works on all Windows platforms including Citrix & Terminal Server.

See http://www.fineprint.com, they also have a product called PDFactory that is a lower cost PDF writer.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Regarding PDF Printout. We are using an OCX that is bought from a company in Italy for only 200 Euro. This has no royalties at all and it is really functional. This means that we are able to make our own PDF Writer and make nice printouts in PDF Format. Just for your information.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do you have some info about the web site
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have a look at http://www.dreamscape.it/
Their website isn't the best to navigate.

They have made an update for a while ago but we are still using the old dll and it has all the features that we need.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Me once again!
If you want, I can send you a test program (when I get some spare time) that you will be able to test and see how it works.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.