Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Printing Problems with version 6.1.0

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 14 June 2004]

We are experiencing a tremendous number of problems printing
on certain windows 98 machines using the command to open a printer using "-p SPOOLER" the runtime gives a error message 30
the exact same procedure worked on REL 6.0.0, what has changed in the new release that these problems always occur when upgrading to a new release.

Example:

FILE-CONTROL.
SELECT PRINT-FILE
ASSIGN TO PRINT "-P SPOOLER"
ORGANIZATION IS LINE SEQUENTIAL
FILE STATUS IS PRINTER-STATUS.

OPEN OUTPUT PRINT-FILE.

This is where the problem occurs
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Printing Problems with version 6.1.0

Davide is correct. This is corrected for next version.
I might add that this behavior is on Windows 9x and Windows ME OSs only. Windows 2000 and Windows XP users will not experience this.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I too am having these problems. Did the workaround suggeted work for you, it would be hard for me to implement as I would have to change all my programs. Did you come up with anything else?
Does -Q printername have the same results?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Let me emphasize that you do not necessarily have to change your programs, you can set this WIN_SPOOLER_PORT in a configuration file. The catch for this is of course that you would only be able to set it for a single instance, not for all printers.

Note that this is a Win9x issue only.

And yes, this applies to -Q too because -Q eventually becomes -P SPOOLER internally in the runtime. Sorry.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for your response. Let me get this straight. I start my run-unit with wrun32 command. It initiates my menu program which calls all other programs during the day. Each time a printer is requested, I need to use the
SET environment "WIN_SPOOLER_PORT" to WINPRINT-PORT

If my operator changes his default windows printer (my menu program still running) and the next printer request is made, (above set environ issued again), I will still be stuck with the orignial windows default printer as my printer? This seems the case with -Q as well. How can I allow my user to change printers without exiting the runtime and restarting?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Note that

SET environment "WIN_SPOOLER_PORT" to WINPRINT-PORT
[\CODE]
is ONLY setting the printer port, not the printer. E.g. if you have two printers; Printer1 and Printer2, they could for instance respectively have been assigned to port LPT1: and LPT2:
Now, when you apply the change to WIN_SPOOLER_PORT, it will affect the port of whatever printer is active. E.g. it will not switch between Printer1 or Printer2, it will just affect the physical port for which they are attached.
Thus, this is why Davide, prior to setting WIN_SPOOLER_PORT calls WINPRINT-GET-CURRENT-INFO, because this will give him the correct port for the printer currently set.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.