Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Random "File error 91,02 on -P SPOOLER-DIRECT" errors on Thin Client printing

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 20 November 2008]

Hi,

We have been succesfully using Thin Client with several customers, but now we have strange problems with a new installation.

They get random but pretty frequent "File error 91,02 on -P SPOOLER-DIRECT"-errors while printing. They work on two different locations and are using our application over internet. Other clients using the same server and the same application have no problems.

On both locations they are using HP Laserjet 1320 printers with the latest drivers, but we have used the same printers at our office for years with no problems. They use Windows XP SP3 on both locations, and so do I. Any idea, what might cause error like this? I'm really lost with this.

Oh, we are using version 7.2.0.
0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Random "File error 91,02 on -P SPOOLER-DIRECT" errors on Thin Client printing

According to the manual this error means one of two depending on what file status code you use. Can you tell if you use file status codes for COBOL-85 (standard), COBOL-74, Data General, VAX COBOL or IBM DOS/VS COBOL?

You will find a list of the errors in chapter 6 of the runtime manual.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Random "File error 91,02 on -P SPOOLER-DIRECT" errors on Thin Client printing

Sorry about that, I should have been more clear on that. We use COBOL-74 status codes, this is a "file not open" error.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

And you do not receive an error on the OPEN statement?
Now that is odd...
The only thing I can suggest then is to turn on tracing to capture it. It will however slow down the performance of your application.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No error on the OPEN statement...

I have discovered there is a Vista laptop on one location which is printing fine. It has a driver version (61.53.25.9) which I dont' seem to able to find on HP website. It also has only one HP printer installed, the other workstations have several. Might be a driver conflict of some kind.

All the other applications they are using print fine (MS Office etc.) .
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'd suggest you raise the issue with tech support.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'd suggest you raise the issue with tech support.

Did that, but wasn't still able to solve the problem.

However, recently our customers runtime was updated to version 8 hoping it would solve the problem. It didn't, but this version started to give me the name of the driver when using WINPRINT-GET-PRINTER-INFO-EX and WINPRINT-GET-CURRENT-INFO-EX.

Because of this I found out that when using a printer with the name "PRINTER" in a PC with multiple printers installed, WINPRINT-GET-CURRENT-INFO-EX returned name of another printers driver. When using a different name for the same printer, the correct driver name was returned.

We changed the name PRINTER to something else, and they have been using the system for a week with no crashes. Before that the they had print jobs crashing daily with "File error 91,02" -error message.

The printer is chosen by first running WINPRINT-GET-PRINTER-INFO-EX commands starting with value 1 in WINPRINT-NO-OF-PRINTERS, incrementing until the given printer name is returned and then running WINPRINT-SET-PRINTER-EX.

I might still be missing something, but it seems that the printer name is causing the problems.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cool, happy to hear you were able to get it going. The devil is in the details.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cool, happy to hear you were able to get it going. The devil is in the details.

I'm a bit confused. Well, even more than usual. Are you saying it is a known fact that you shouldn't use printer with a name "printer" when printing with Thin Client? I've been banging my head with this for months.

Edit: I'll try to find some time to get into this, and to make sure its not my app that is causing this to happen.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No, not at all. ACUCOBOL-GT does not care what kind of names that are assigned to printers on a machines print folder. It is not here your problem has risen.

Apparently, the computer in question has multiple printers installed, and your application previously used one that was named "PRINTER", which failed. You then tried another printer named xyzorwhatever and it worked.

The name is not crucial here, but, as you found, the different printer driver.

I thought you had done a nice bit of research to find this subtle, but important difference.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think you misunderstood me, I'll try once more. I'm not at my best when explaining things, and using a foreing language doesn't help, so try to be patient.

The application has been using the same printer, only the name of the printer has changed. Changing the name of the printer stops my app returning the driver info of another printer instead of the printer in question.

Here is an small example program. It isn't pretty, but it is the best I could come up with quickly. What the program is supposed to do is to find a printer called "PRINTER", and give some information about this printer and select the printer.

When I run it once using my PC wich has printers called "PRINTER" and "PRINTER1" (among others), it finds the printer and shows correct driver info. However, when I run it twice in a row, it shows the driver of "PRINTER1". If I change "PRINTER1" to "PRINTERS", the correct driver is shown.

The word PRINTER is not the key here as I first thought, this much I found out. The behaviour is the same if the printers are called "FOO" and "FOO1".

It might be that the error is in my code. I'm failing to see where the problem lies, so I could use a little help here. Sarcastic remarks, on the other hand are also fun.

It might be that this has nothing to do with the errors we were experiencing, but the problems dissapeared the same time I stopped seeing wrong driver names.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I tried to run your program, and to me it behaved consistently. I tried this with version 8.1 however. It might be that you run an earlier version and this is a bug that has been fixed.
If you reproduce this with 8.1, I can only suggest that you try to report to tech support and see if they can reproduce it.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.