Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Request login after inactivity

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 18 April 2008]

We are looking for a way to monitor inactivity, in a thin client enviornment, and bring up a login screen if user has not used the thin client ap in a specified period of time.

I know I can create a thread that is running in background that will pop up our loging screen, but not sure how to monitor both keystrokes, mouse clicks and maybe mouse movement.

I don't want to exit them from the screen they are in just bring up a screen so they have to login again before they continue.

Thanks for any help
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Request login after inactivity

For keystokes or in general interacting with the screen you can use an accept before time for "x" number of seconds and then once the timeout occurs you can reset them back to a login - see renew-timeout configuration variable as well.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What I need to do is set the login thread running in our main menu program. From there all other programs/screens are called in. I would be unable to put the accept before time on each of the accept statements. With over 1000 programs and each one with many accepts. I thought at one time I had read where you can monitor keystrokes and mouse clicks. If so I should be able to set the program looping and bring up the screen when the timout has occured. I just can't find the info I need to monitor the activity.

Thanks,
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Check out AutoMate 6 from Unisyn http://www.unisyn.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That product looks good but would like to do it without having to purchase additional software if possible.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Attached is a sample program demonstrating one way to achieve a timeout using a timer running in a thread, then the screens' and controls' event procedures reset the timer. If there's no interaction the timer maxes out and does whatever you want, in this case a STOP RUN. There's no detection of mouse movement but any action on the screen itself, moving from control to control, interacting with a control, etc. triggers an event which resets the timer.

Note that RENEW_TIMEOUT has no effect with GUI screens.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the info and program. This is what we need.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I thought this was what I needed but it isn't. I need to have a program running a thread in background checking for keystrokes or mouse clicks of the programs that are running in foreground, and after a set amount of time with no clicks or keystrokes pop up a login screen. This causes the user to login again but not take them out of the program they are in.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.