Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Running .NET application on ACUCONNECT server

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 08 July 2010]

I build a component in .NET v2 to translate output to PDF format.
My ACUCOBOL application produces a printfile, than invokes my .NET to reformat the printfile to PDF. It runs fine on a local workstation.

However, many of my customers use ACUCONNECT. I was expecting that my .NET component would execute on the ACUCONNECT server. However, it seems that ACUCONNECT client attempts to start the .NET component on the client side, not the server side. This fails (as the .NET component is not on the client, nor is the printfile on the client).

Does anybody know how I can tell ACUCONNECT or ACURUNTIME to instantiate the .NET component on the ACUCONNECT server, not the ACUCONNECT client ?

Thanks,
- Peter -
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Running .NET application on ACUCONNECT server

If your .Net component is part of a screen section or display statement then yes, thin client will believe that it is on the client. I do not think you can change this to have Thin client execute a .Net assembly on the server (especially if that .Net assembly display something to the screen)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Running .NET application on ACUCONNECT server

Dilbert, thanks for your response. I agree that user interface components can best execute on the client. Quite fancy if that works (I would not expect .NET components to work on the client in a thin client environment) !

However, I am just calling a "batch" .NET application and now it is a big surprise to me that it attempts to run it on the client workstation. The whole process should of course stay on the thin-client acuconnect server.

I did not get a sensible response from Microfocus support so I changed this .NET application to a regular EXE and that seems to keep running on the ACUCONNECT server.

I suspect that running .NET assemblies on the client is done on purppose (to support GUI components) but a warning that using .NET for anything else than GUI in a thin client environment does not work would have saved me a lot of time...

Thanks,
- Peter -
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.