Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Runtime Exit Status

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 13 February 2004]

Has anyone had any experience regarding the runtime exiting with a non zero exit status? This is happening using Acucobol 5.2.1 on AIX 5.1.0.

We have 3 programs that are run in the background repeatedly (every 15 seconds normally). Periodically at one of our customer sites one of the programs abort with an exit status 255. Using the -lxez command options and a trace file it shows the runtime loading and listing the cblconfig file entries to the trace file, then it just stops, no shutdown message or anything. This started abruptly last fall for no apparent reason I can tell. Other than the program aborting, we haven't lost any data. It really looks like the program never got started.

Since this process is running 24x7 there is the potential that it could possibly be run over 5000 times in a 24 hour period. Of that time period, it fails with this 255 exit status 2 or three times a week. This same setup is in place and running in house and at five other customes without any problem.

Anyone else had any experience with anything like this?
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Runtime Exit Status

I've been perusing the source code for the runtime, and find no places where the runtime exits without printing some sort of message to the error file or the screen.

I am assuming that you are executing the runtime with the "-b" option to put it in the background (more specifically, to not use the terminal manager). If not, then there is a chance that the error message is going to the screen but that there is no screen attached so the runtime just exits.

This is an odd issue. I have never seen anything like it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Runtime Exit Status

I'm surprised you haven't seen this before. This particular instance is unique and has been a real bear to figure out, but I've seen the 255 exit status quite frequently, I.E, if your term type is not set, program is missing, index oob, linkage error, etc.

I can't actually use the -b option because there are some other programs that are run by this process that display pop up windows and that aborts the 5.2.1 runtime if you ran it using the -b option. Those programs are being run in the background but don't require any user input.

The actual command options I'm using are
runcbl -c ./cblconfig.wms -lxez $LOGNAME.err -o RFNAV.OUT $prog
where $prog is the program that's being run. We're also using
MAX_ERROR_LINES 3000
FILE_TRACE 100
FILE_TRACE_FLUSH 1

This one really has me baffled because the normal trace file lists the contents of the cblconfig file, then starts the normal
Try Loading xxx message as it goes through the CODE-PREFIX to load the program. When this 255 exit status abort happens it lists the config file entries and just stops. It's as if the runtime never really got started.

Thanks for taking a look at this.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.