Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Send message to client from server

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 03 October 2006]

Hello

Does anyone know if it is possible to send a message to one or all connected clients in a thin client environment?

Fx. if I need to reboot the Linux server, I would like to send a message to all the thin clients.

Regards
Kim
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Send message to client from server

Hi,

One approach I've used is to start a thread when the application is started. This thread could periodically look for a file in a certain place or look for a record in a data file. If it finds one it displays the data in separate window. If necessary you could also close the application when the user hits enter or clicks a button in this window.

Best regards,
Hans
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kill -9 sends a strong message 🙂
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am currently exploring this issue. I discussed the "thread looking for a file" option with management. They asked for more options. Has anyone implemented a different solution?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have you found a solution for this yet? I am also looking for something too. Something simple like the windows "net send" command. Which incidentally can run from a thin client to message other thin clients, but it is not a unix command...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.