Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Thin Client HTML report from Linux/Unix

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 07 August 2005]

I am having problem when running thin client from Linux/Unix, and generating a HTML document for viewing through the browser.

I have used the @DISPLAY: with C$COPY command to copy the file to the users desktop, however, I cannot find a way to delete this object.

I reading the documentation , they touse the C$SYSTEM command with the CSYS-DESKTOP flag, well I cannot get this to delete the file.

I also tried calling the kernel332 from a called program , then issuing a file delete, well this too has given me problems, does anyone outthere have a solution????

Thanks,
Alex
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Thin Client HTML report from Linux/Unix

Is the file in use by another application when you try to delete it? Like Internet Explorer?

How are you using C$SYSTEM to try to delete the file?

Rob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for responding Robstan;

The answer is no, no one else had the file open. What I am doing is creating an HTML document on the host (What we call a temporary file), the using the @DISPLAY: C$COPY command I am then copying this file to the desktop, then using the browser viewing the file, and since its a temporary file, After, the browseris closed I delete the file from the host (no problems), then I tried to delete the file on the desktop, using the @DISPLAY:C$SYSTEM and CSYS-DESKTOP Flag, and using the command line prompt of:
DEL DIRECTORY\FILENAME

This did not delete the file.

I also tried to get the kernel32.dll, then issuing a API call to delete the file. This did not work, for whatever reason after the first program we use to start our software:

wrun32 program

I am able to get the kernel32.dll from the desktop, after that any other subsequent programs trying to do this call, does not get the kernel32.dll.

I hope this helps.

Alex
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

C$SYSTEM has always worked well for me. I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be, but I'll think about it some. Hopefully someone else will give a good suggestion.

Rob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Alex,

I know these are silly, but I thought I'd bring them up anways...

When you do the C$SYSTEM call, are you using the full pathname of the file?

When doing the call to kernel32.dll, make sure that the code prefix doesn't get in the way and that you use the @DISPLAY logic.

You may also want to try the C$SYSTEM with some of the other flags in combination with the "desktop" flag to see if that works. Since "Del" is a DOS command, there might be something you have to set for that...

Just throwing some ideas out there...

Rob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for those ideas.

To be honest I tried some thing I can not honestly remember, as soon as I finish a couple of other problems, I'll get back into it, and start over again.

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas, please if you think of anything just let me know.

Alex
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As an alternative, if you use the Windows API locally, the DeletefileA function in Kernel32 will delete the file locally.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gforeth;

I did try this, here is the problem I seemed to be confronted with, I can call the kernel32.dll program from the very first program I use to start our software:

wrun32 -c Acustart

In Acustart I then call the @DISPLAY:kernel32.dll and am able to retrieve the directory from which thin client is launched from the desktop, after I get deeper into the application by launching other programs under the Acustart program, I can no longer launch the @DISPLAY:kernel32.dll, to issue the api call. I believe I get an error of either a -1 or -7. It has been awhile since I tried this.

Maybe you can shed some light on this.

Acucorp says development has submitted a request for C$DELETE to accomplish this.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Alex
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I cannot see any reason why you should not be able to call kernel32 even from a nested hierarchy. May be you modify the CODE-PREFIX?

At any rate, if you can provide a reproduceable scenario I suggest you send it to Tech Supp.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you;

I need to check it out further, and when I all the pieces in place that was going to be my intention.

Alex
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.