Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] USERNAME Environment variable for AcuConnect 7.x

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 20 March 2007]

Hi,

It seems in AcuConnect 5.x we could set an Environment variable of USERNAME to set the passed username to the server.

It seems in AcuConnect 7.x this isn't an option.

From the AcuConnect 5.1 doco:

4.2.5 Setting up the User Name

For Windows clients, the runtime uses the user name value that is set by the environment variable USERNAME. If USERNAME is not set, then the runtime uses the value that is set by the environment variable USER. (The values assigned to these variables are case-sensitive. Be sure that the case used in the "AcuAccess" file matches the case of the value set in the variable.) If neither of these environment variables is set, then the runtime uses the name "USER".

Under UNIX, the runtime uses the user name that the user logged in with.

I've read through the 7.2 doco and there doesn't appear to be anything mentioned about doing this.

Our software still sets USERNAME (actually it sets USERNAME, USER and DEFAULT_USER on the client just to make sure) but it always attempts to use the current Windows username to connect with AcuConnect.

I know there is an option on the server config file to use a "DEFAULT_USER" but that then sets all connections to the one user which makes it difficult to administer.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray Smith

EDIT: (21/3/07) I have also sent this off to Acu Support. Will update this thread on any feedback from them.
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] USERNAME Environment variable for AcuConnect 7.x

An update for anyone searching for an answer:

I was contacted by Acu on the 28/3/07 and told:

"there indeed might be some changes to the way server/client identities are determined".

I emailed back some more info, but haven't heard anything since, so I assume unless you want to use the "DEFAULT_USER" option in the server config file (meaning all processes are owned by the one user), all Windows login user names must match the server login names (in this case Unix).

This isn't a problem for new sites, but is a bit of a pain when upgrading existing sites where the login names don't match.

Regards,

Ray Smith
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.