Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Former Member Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Unix scripting and vision files

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 25 May 2006]

Hi all. I need to write a unix script which will run conversion programs without user intereaction.

I'm planning on creating one routine which will handle file size/available disk space checking, run the conversion, then check for errors. This will allow me to use it generically by calling it from other functions that would tell it the file, program, and whether it is a vision file or not.

1. What is the best way to tell if a file is a vision file or not. I'd like to be able to log/fail gracefully if a file is supposed to be a vision file and it's not.

2. What is the best way to get the full disk space requirements (data + index segments)? The best thing I've been able to come up with is redirecting the output of the vutil command and striping it out of there.

All of this is going to be done from a ksh shell script.

Thanks for any thoughts,
brad
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.