Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Using Acu as an html generation tool?

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 16 May 2008]

I was wondering if there was any tools for Acu that would allow it's objects to be called to generate html? Since this may not make a lot of sense I'll try to give an example of what we are looking for...

If I was on my intranet site and went to localhome.com I would want the server to understand that it needed to run an Acu program. The program would take any information provided, access data bases and return the html for the browser to show in the browser window.

I'm not looking to have an active-x in our application or to call IE from the application. I was wondering if Acu objects could be used more like ASP or JSP where they are called to create the final html code for a browser.

It's possible this could be done with C Script in unix to do a run cobol I think but I was hoping for something a bit cleaner that would not require extra scripting in the background.

EG: url/home.asp knows to use the asp script to generate a final output page. JSP pages are compiled objects and work the same way.

thanks, Mike
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Using Acu as an html generation tool?

Check out the Acu documentation A Programmer's Guide to the Internet

Chapter 4: Launching Applications on a Web Server With CGI

CGI provides a method where an HTML page contains a tag that launches a CGI process (in this case a COBOL program), the COBOL program can either fill in a HTML template or create an HTML page on it's own.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.