Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Viewing data in cobol files

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 27 September 2006]

When using a database and coding in other languages it was very simple to validate and check data by entering simple SQL queries to see how the data has changed.

Is there a simple utility for cobol files (provided I have the File Descriptions and/or XFD's) to view cobol data quickly and easily? I know there is alfred and it works pretty good but you can only see one record at a time and it is cumbersome to page through the records...

I just want to display all records and all data on the screen and be able to page up and down through the list quickly to verify my changes worked properly against the data.

Thanks for any ideas
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Viewing data in cobol files

Have you thought of AcuODBC? You can link your Vision files into an MSAccess database and view the linked tables as you want.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have you thought of AcuODBC? You can link your Vision files into an MSAccess database and view the linked tables as you want.

Currently we don't have AcuODBC, I think AcuCorp Charges for a license of which we don't really need at this time...

Maybe someone has written something that mgiht be useful, I'm thinking of doing it myself If I could get the time...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You could consider reading the xfd file in a cobol program and using the info to pull specific fields that you wish to look for.

Brad
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have written a crude Perl script which reads and parses the XFD, then does a 'vutil -extract' and formats the output as CSV according to the XFD fields.

I had to rename it from 'vlist' to 'vlist.txt' to attach it to this message.

Let me know if you need more info on this.

Cheers.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.