Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Web Browser & COBOL program w/activex

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 23 June 2010]

I have a strange situation I'm looking for ideas on and I'll do my best to describe it. I have a web browser application that works by starting runtime sessions in background mode/cgi mode (with -b switch in the command line) and using COBOL programs to gather or update data and return information back to the webpage.

I would like to utilize a COBOL program that has activex logic to communicate with other software in this process, but I'm fairly certain that I cannot do this in the runtime when executed in background mode (or cgi mode). I am going to try this, but I'm also looking for some other suggestions. The activex program does NOT have user interface, but the controls used do have to be "displayed" and a screen section is used an accepted.

If I'm sitting in IE on a webpage, how can I click a button to execute a COBOL program on the server in order to execute the activex? I know I could recode this in another language, but I'm looking for a solution where I can re-use my COBOL code. Could I use the Web Plugin or some other technology?

I hope this made some sense and someone can give me some suggestions. Thanks for your time.
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Web Browser & COBOL program w/activex

You should be able to use CREATE in leiu of DISPLAY for the activex, and then inquire to get the results back
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, Dilbert. However, in this case I must display the control (create doesn't work) and I need to "accept" it in order to receive events.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CREATE is for COM or non display .nets only.
I believe you will not be able to execute the required format of the DISPLAY statement to instantiate an ActiveX when executing with -b.

I doubt this will work, but if you don't care for a window being displayed on the NUL console of the server (when you try this locally it will show on the desktop, but in a web server scenario it will not) you may be able to accomplish it, try using ACCEPT BEFORE TIME 0 to see if you get the events.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.