Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] What are you using?

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 28 November 2002]

Beeing new to ActiveX, the biggest problem for me is to understand how I should use the diferent methods and properties of the ActiveX-controls. It would be great to know if someone else was using the same ActiveX-control, and then be able to share this information.
When I visit the developers forum for the ActiveX-control I am struggling with nowadays, noone understands Cobol, it's just VB, C, and Delphi-guys there.

So - we are using products from Developers Express, particularly the QuantumGrid (http://www.devexpress.com/products/activex/index.asp).

What are you all using?
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] What are you using?

Until now, we don't use any ActiveX controls, because we are developing or AcuThin and don't want to install all those ActiveX controls on the clients.

I have experimented with an ActiveX control for selecting a date, but we wanted to display the weeknumber in de selection screen and that wasn't possible with that particular control, so I decided to write my own date selector in AcuGT.

I used the grid control for this, wich is very flexible. I also used the grid control the create something wich looks like an outlook bar to create a menu program (See the included screen shot).

Andr
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

My compliments for a very nice looking calendar!

Gisle
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've used ActiveX with Totem all using AcuBench tools but It makes the object code so large that it began to be a pain. If you use the same activeX control on multiple forms it adds it to the code muliple times.

So we stopped using them and instead write VB routines to do what we were trying to do with the activex and pass variables back and forth, or use C++ to write quick little DLL's to call it just feels more solid this way, the activeX is a little quircky.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are using VSVIEW and VSFlexGrid Pro from ComponentOne (http://www.componentone.com).

But we currently use them indirectly through VB. We use VSVIEW to write reports to PDF files. The report is written to a LINE SEQUENTIAL file, then we run a small VB program that reads it and uses VSVIEW to create a PDF file. (We also have some nifty code in the VB program that intercepts our boring headings and reformats them into nicely formatted fancy report headings. Doing it this way meant that we did not need to change any of our Cobol report code.)

VSFlexGrid is a nice grid that we use to display some read-only data in a heirarchical grid. Like above, we write some data to a file, then run a VB program that displays the data in the grid, which is OK since it is read-only.

We've considered using it in our programs as a replacement for the standard grid control. I'm still hoping that someday we will see the ability to have a drop-down list inside of a grid cell in the standard grid control.....
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are using VSVIEW and VSFlexGrid Pro from ComponentOne (http://www.componentone.com).

But we currently use them indirectly through VB. We use VSVIEW to write reports to PDF files. The report is written to a LINE SEQUENTIAL file, then we run a small VB program that reads it and uses VSVIEW to create a PDF file. (We also have some nifty code in the VB program that intercepts our boring headings and reformats them into nicely formatted fancy report headings. Doing it this way meant that we did not need to change any of our Cobol report code.)

VSFlexGrid is a nice grid that we use to display some read-only data in a heirarchical grid. Like above, we write some data to a file, then run a VB program that displays the data in the grid, which is OK since it is read-only.

We've considered using it in our programs as a replacement for the standard grid control. I'm still hoping that someday we will see the ability to have a drop-down list inside of a grid cell in the standard grid control.....
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.