Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] XP and Service Pack 2 issue

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 22 February 2005]

When I have experienced these issues with customers on SP2, it has typically been their antivirus realtime file protection protecting network drives. Disabling this sped things up. This seems to work better than simply adding a network folder to an exception list.

Also, here is some info I received from Acucorp Support a while back:

===================================

File Access to Windows Shared Files
===================================

On Windows systems, the speed of file access to Vision files located on a Windows shared drive can be variable. The cause of this variability is attributed to an imperfect interaction between the way the Windows operating system handles file locks and the way it caches shared files on the local system. In Version 4.3.1, to improve performance, the method used to access Vision files on Windows shared drives was changed. Subsequently, although most users have experienced good performance and no problems, some users have experienced sporadic file corruption problems (error 98, 90). To minimize the possibility of these errors, in Version 5.2.1 the runtime has reverted to the pre-4.3.1 method of opening files. Although this method can result in somewhat slower performance, it is safer. The faster method can still be used and is configurable via a Windows registry entry.

WARNING

Changing the Windows registry incorrectly can cause serious problems
that may necessitate a complete reinstallation of the operating
system. Changes to the Windows registry should be made only by a
qualified Windows system administrator. Changes to the
Windows registry are not recommended.

To change the runtime to use the faster, but riskier method of opening
files on Windows shared drives, in the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acucorp, Inc.\ACUCOBOL-GT

manually set a registry value of type DWORD:

GetUniqueId Uses CreateFile

to the value "0". When this entry is set to "1" (the default),
the safer method is used.

Performance Tip: File OPENs are relatively expensive operations,
especially on DOS and Windows systems. Eliminating non-essential
file OPENs could significantly improve application performance.

=============

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] XP and Service Pack 2 issue

Many of my customers are experiencing a major slow down in processing speed when SP2 is installed. Of course, for those users, we tell them to uninstall it, and they are happy.

But now days, the SP2 is factory installed and cannot be unintalled. Does anyone can share, if there is a work-around, or is there something we are not doing? I hope someone can enlighten me as to what @#$@ is going on with the SP2?

Thanks,
Chin
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have also experienced this problem with service pack 2. I created a sample back in october and sent it in to acucorp that showed this problem.(Acucorp ID 99-022811). However when they tried it in there office they did not see the performance problems. The performance problem was the most noticeable durring a file close. In the sample that I sent to acucorp, it opened 2 vision 3 files for I-O and then closed them. In our in office testing we had 2 identical dell 2.8 ghz pc's with 512 meg of ram, one with xp pro sp1 and the other xp pro sp2. The program was taking 1.99 seconds to open the files and close the files on the sp2 pc when the files and programs were on our server accessed through mapped drives. It was only taking .02 seconds on the other pc. When I ran the test locally on the sp2 pc the test was only taking .01 seconds so it also appears to be something with mapped drives.

Acucorp told me when they ran my sample it took .15 seconds on sp2 and .11 on sp1 while on mapped drives.

Maybe someone else will be have some ideas to speed the system back up.

Scott
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One thing that strikes me when I look at this is; Does it have to be so many files? Isn't it reproduceable with just one program and one file?

Having said that, it is no surprise it were not reproduceable in San Diego. We have had reports from others of the similar performance issues, but which has experienced that running task xyz on computer A may take an eternity one day, being repeated the other day takes a fragment of the time. Nothing, absolutely nothing changed at all.

At core, this is a problem with Microsoft and flat file systems. In case you don't know, this problem bugs other filesystems as well. There is nothing we at Acucorp, Inc. would rather be able to than to give you excellent performance. But when the underlying operating system is a "moving target", changing its behavior unpredictably, it is difficult.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I can appreciate the fact that Acucorp can't fix a "problem", if it is in fact an Acucorp's problem, unless it is repeatable; however, we are in a bind with our customers because we truly have no control as to what we can do, other than pray and hope it will go away. If Acucorp can spent some extra time in this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Btw, We have had some instances where "Wrun32.exe" was stuck in the memory and was cycling 90% of cpu time without showing up on the desktop. But many times, that's not the case.

Thanks,

Chin
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are also experiencing major slow down's in processing speed when using xp SP2.
Our customers are complaning about it, but so far there is nothing we can do.
We have customers who had windows 98, now using windows xp with faster pc's, but are working now slower instead of faster.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Are you seeing any warning messages in the System Event log of either the XP PC'S or the file server?
Also, search the Microsoft knowledge base for keywords like "windows xp slow file network sp2".
For instance, this article comes up: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842264
Talk to system administrator before asking clients to apply this article. If you apply changes from this article, make sure to reboot PC after change is made.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dan,

I have tried the things from microsoft and it does not solve any of the problems and there are not problems in my event viewer.

Scott
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Pleae look for the following MS KB. I think that is the solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264/DE/
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have disabled the oppertunistic locking and it does appear to speed up the closing of my files. However this does have another side affect, before the change it took me 3.2 seconds to compile one of my programs, after the change it now takes 13.4 seconds. So this makes me wonder what other performance issues this may cause in other applications.

Scott
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Recently, we observed that when we have an another instance of Wrun32.exe from a same default directory, running in memory, such as a MENU, the subsquent program runs at a blazing speed. We have experimented this with some of our users, who were having the performance problems with SP2, to have one MENUs running minimized. They have told us that the difference was night and day. They were happy to just do that for now.

This may be the best "clue" in solving the problem for someone who knows the system very well...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.