Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] before time

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 10 February 2006]

I want to execute a procedure when a certain amount of time has passed in an accept screen command.

I set up the "before time" parameter in Workbench to the appropriate time interval but I can't get AcuCobolGT to generate the evaluate code in the Evaluate Function paragraph for the screen. It needs to check the evaluate function of "When Screen-time-out" which is exception 99. But how do I get AcuCobolGT to generate the code ?

The Extend6 manual RM 6-78 only describes the "before time" phrase without explaining how to get the exception to execute.

Thanks...

John C.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] before time

you may need to set the runtime configuration variable renew-timeout.

When set to "1" (on, true, yes), this variable restarts the timeout used by ACCEPT BEFORE TIME after each keystroke that the user makes. The default setting is "0" (off, false, no), which means that the timeout is canceled as soon as the user starts typing.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the info. The timer is timeing out as I want it to in my program but I can't get the system to execute the procedure I want to execute.

What's happening in my program is that when the screen is idle and the timer kicks in, the program goes thru the evaluate-function routine, sees there is no routine associated with the screen-time-out and returns to the accept command. So in essence it just keeps looping back to the accept screen statement.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is probably not the most elegant way, but it does work. Attached an image of the property window for the screen, I created an link-to paragraph called time-out. In time-out I placed this syntax:

evaluate key-status
when 99
display message box "Timed out"
when other
continue
end-evaluate
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the response. The link-to was the only event I didn't try because I thought it would break me out of my previous perform statement. I'll try it and let you know.

Thanks
JC
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.