Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] blinking character? -windows

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 04 February 2005]

Hello,
Im inquiring as to if there is any way to blink a character in windows, i know the blink property of display does not work in windows, so im curious if there is another way of doing it.

I thought of running a thread and having the string disapear reapear, repeatedly, or changing the background color of the text so it stands out.

We have alot of unix customers that have moved into windows
and requested this, so figured id double check and see if there is
any solutions.

Thanks, Rob
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] blinking character? -windows

I've seen VB examples using the timer control which is similiar to your idea of using a thread.
There is a FlashWindow windows api function, but it only flashes a window not a control.

Example:

DISPLAY STANDARD GRAPHICAL WINDOW
       LINES 20, SIZE 65
       TITLE-BAR, SYSTEM MENU, AUTO-RESIZE
       TITLE "Flash Me"
       BACKGROUND-LOW
       HANDLE MAIN-WINDOW
SET ENVIRONMENT "CODE-PREFIX" TO "."
SET ENVIRONMENT "DLL-CONVENTION" TO 1
CALL "user32.dll"
MOVE 1 TO bInvert
INQUIRE MAIN-WINDOW SYSTEM HANDLE IN ctlhwnd
CALL "FlashWindow" USING
       By Value ctlhwnd |As Long
       By Value bInvert |As Long
       GIVING RETURN-CODE |As Long
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do you know what character you want to flash ahead of time? If so, you can create a bitmap and use animation, similar the the GT Bitmap displayed in the Tour.acu sample. You can find the sample in C:\Acucorp\Acucbl620\Acugt\Sample\Samplprj\Object (assuming that you have installed in the default location and are using 6.2.0).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank You for both of your ideas, i think the animated bitmap might be the way to go.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.