Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] c$list-directory

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 05 February 2004]

I noticed library routines c$copy and c$opensavebox were enhanced for thin-client support in release 6.1. What about c$list-directory and c$fileinfo? I see no mention of them in the 6.1 ECN's. Did I miss them, or were they not updated for thin-client?
0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] c$list-directory

These were not modified for use with thin client, though they probably should be. There are probably a lot of others that should be, too (which we will miss unless someone helps us out!!)

You should notify tech support and request an enhancement.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Randy, I'll put together a list of file system related acucobol library functions that would be useful in thin-client and send request to support.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just found out that expanding C$FILEINFO with the thin client feature also would help me. I now can use C$COPY for copying a large file to the thin client, but of course I want to avoid this if the file is already stored locally on the thin client. Acucobol-GT now does not offer a way to find out if the file is already there! That's a pity!!

Ren
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Rene,
Welcome to the dancing bear that is acuthin. 😄
I guess the burden is still on us, the lucky users, to figure out what acuthin should really be doing. I occasionally scratch my head wondering how many users were actually consulted when acuthin was hatched. A select few I suspect.
So, my advice is report as many issues as you can find to acucorp support, and eventually, in time, the bear shall become the ballerina. It's certainly getting closer with each release.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dan,

Thank you for your response. Indeed strange that they did not think a little bit further. I also wonder how many people really are seriously using the Thin Client. Now I further studied this, I also noticed that all kinds of useful library routines are not suitable for use under the Thin Client, but I never saw this limitation in the list of restrictions for running under Thin Client.
Anyhow, I'm hesitating to officially pass this on to Acucorp support / development. I need to solve these kind of problems now and I will solve them now. At the time that I will see a solution from Acucorp (or any other vendor!) I have already forgotten about this and very likely will not be interested in it anymore. Another reason is that when you ask for a feature, you get questions like 'how much more revenues it will bring when we have that feature' and I really have not idea and honestly don't care as well.
If the Acucorp staff is clever (and let's say that I believe they are not stupid :-)), they follow the threads on this forum and will learn from it.

Ren
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Rene,
Perhaps the design and evolution of acucorp products suffer from what most software projects(including my own) do, a features list. User goals are a much better way to design software, but sadly most of the industry gets caught up in features, which are usually incomplete anyway. Take for instance acuthin. A user goal like "accessing resources local to the PC" is a more affective way of describing something acuthin should be helping business application developers accomplish. It is short and clear and encompasses a set of abilities needed for thin client business applications like local file access, images, and all the rest. My point with all this is that software shouldn't be designed from the acucorp software engineers point of view, but from the acucorp users point of view. This means knowing what users want and need to accomplish, which can't be done in a vacuum, or with the input of a select few users, or with a once a year survey at the end of the annual acucorp developers conference.
At my company we are researching ways to do this effectively. A few books by Alan Cooper have been helpful so far: The Inmates are Running the Asylum, and About Face 2.0. Check them out.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gentlemen,

I respect your right to express your views, nevertheless, I feel that you are a bit unfair in your expressions here.

For the issue of concern. If you choose to use the Windows API, it will give you information about local files on the client.

As of 6.2, Thin Client technology supports use of the Windows API on the client side, regardless of what OS there is on the client side.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I apologize for any unfair comments. My presence on this forum is meant to be helpful, not harmful, and that includes when I talk about Acucorp.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No problem Dan, you are a great contributor to the forum so you are indeed helpful.

Gisle
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Gisle. After reading my comments I realize that the topic I bring up is best handled off the forum and directly with acucorp. Thanks.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.