Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] check box outline

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 13 February 2008]

I have looked several places and cannot find many options on how to get the outlines for a checkbox to change. Is there anyway using a setting or config value that I can get it so my dashed/grey outline is around the text and the check box? Right now we get the outline around just the check box label text.

Note, we are using thin client 7.2, developing in 6.2 and using left text. ...though I have tried other options for text placement and other settings like flat that did not impact what I was trying to do.

Thanks, Mike
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] check box outline

The "outline" is a feature of Windows itself. It is used to identify the focus on the screen. As it is a Windows feature, it cannot be changed. If you look at for instance the setup dialog in Outlook Express and tab around one with checkboxes, you will see that the "outline" is around the text only.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I had seen this in other applications too, just didn't know it was Windows controlling that. I was hoping it was something we could adjust. Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There is a way in Vista and XP. In your display settings you can turn of this and the underlining of hotkeys. This will of course be a systemwide change though. Personally I prefer to have it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have devised a rather easy solution, though it may be more than some people are willing to put in to all check boxes.

- Simply create a label for the check box text rather than using the check box title.
- Have only the checkbox showing.
- Create a frame with no title around both the check box and label text. Set the frame to visible false.
- use both an after and before procedure. The before procedure sets the frame visible true. The after obviously sets it visible false. From what I can tell in some quick test, this appears to work whether using tab order or directly clicking in or out of the check box.

This allows any placement of the text and the ability to outline both the text and check box. Note that changing the frame color to a dark grey seems to make it look a little better.

If anyone has any further suggestions on this or finds any issues, please let me know.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.