Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] e-business

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 12 September 2007]

Hi,

Has anyone on here got experience on e-business.

Basically we have our own GUI Financial/Distribution product in Acucobol-GT.

Currently we have a large customer who wishes to get involved with e-business.

They're looking for things like allowing their customers to access account information, outstanding orders, place orders on-line, check stock, check pricing etc.

If anyone can offer any advice, then it will be gratefully be received.

All contacts I knew previously in Acucorp are gone. I've sent an email to our account manager in the meantime, but just reckoned that this might be a pretty good starting place.

Thanks,
Shaun
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] e-business

Dear Shaun: I am really sorry to hear that your contacts at Acucorp are gone. The acquisition by Microfocus leaves me with a somewhat uneasy feeling.

I am an Acucorp ISV with a distribution system, and I think you can fairly easily introduce e-business elements written in COBOL to your software by using the 'web thin client', which would allow a user to run applications from a browser. This way, your customer could direct its customers from their main website to a 'secure' website (perhaps located within their firewall) where they can log on and check stock, use the ordering system and so forth. This is an area I am just now trying to become familiar with, so perhaps we can learn together.

This is just a generalized concept, but I think it would work, depending on how your software is designed.

I'd be happy to discuss this further with you anytime.

Matt Cantillon
mpcsoft
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] e-business

Hi Shaun,
we too have some e-business application linked in different ways to our Acu applications. We have 2 different approaches:
1) for customers needing a customer/order e-commerce with a highly graphical content (and with limited possibility of modifying part of this graphical contents) we implemented a web front-end that's feeded with data from Acu application (Acu data are on intranet that runs an Acu application that feeds a web-based DB (mySql or DBMaker) on a remote webserver that has HTML/PHP/Java front end interface.
2) for customers that need more data and less aesthetics we implemented a WebThin interface directly feeded by Acu business data.
The first approach is base on a solution we probably resell (I must catch info 'cos I'm not directly involved in).
The second one You've only to write some cobol new programs: we've implemented a framework (no AcuBench, all Cobol code that produce cobol code) to speed up and standardize interface design: this one we can sell, maybe source code too.
If you need more info feel free to send me a private message.
bye Giovanni
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.