Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] executing independent processes

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 18 July 2006]

I want to provide a simple diary pop-up - similar to the 'reminder' window that comes up in Outlook. I want it to be independent and not stop my normal processing from the point at which I fire this other process up. i.e. I want both my normal processing window to continue accepting user data etc. whilst the user can if he wishes switch to the remonder window and work with that one.

I have tried messing around with threads, but cannot seem to get this to work as I wish, because I want the user to be able to select which process to work with by simply activating the appropriate window and I cannot see how to do this-I have not used threads before so I apologise if I am doing something stupid.

CALL RUN seems to be difficult route ascannotpass linkage data needed.

Has anyone gotasimilar situation which they have solved?

Regards
Keith
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] executing independent processes

Further to my previous comments on this, I now realise that 'link to thread' or 'bind to thread' and 'modeless' was the missing element in what i was originally doing.

However, now that i understand a little more about all this, i find that once I have started the 'reminder process thread', as soon as the calling program in the main thread loads another window (not with 'bind to thread') then i lose the opportunity of activating the called thread program and sometimes it just diappears. Am i going to have to make ALL windows in the main thread 'bind or link to thread' and modeless in order to allow my reminder thread to operate? This will mean changing about 300 programs and all their windows - plus I am not sure what other issues that will cause in the main processing.

Is there no way to set a general variable to set all windows to modeless and 'link to thread'?.

Regards
Keith
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] executing independent processes

there is a way to pass data to the called program. if you are on windows, start a new process with
c$run using "..\wrun32.exe passed-data". the called program must have "procedure division chaining passed-data".
no linkage section needed. declare passed-data in working-storage.
hope it help?s.

bli
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.