Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] gallimufry active-x control

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 10 May 2006]

I would like to try using the gallimufry control for interacting with twain devices. I downloaded this demo from Desaware.com and wrote a simple program, when I execute the control from within the acucobol program I get this message:

dwTwain Demo
This is a demo version
It can only be used in VB

Does this mean if I buy the real version, I will be ok? I proposed this question to Desaware and got the following response

"I honestly don't know if the licensing will allow use on other platforms. However, you can rebuild the control from source without the licensing as long as you have VB6."

Does anyone out there have experience with this control and can advise if it is usable before I purchase, or do you feel I will be ok despite the VB comment. If anyone is using it I would love to see (or even purchase) some sample code as I am a novice when working with Active-X.
Thanks,
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] gallimufry active-x control

That is a rather odd reply from the vendor themselves.

Who should know, if not themselves.

However, as you have seen, fellow ACUCOBOLers do use this control, so I think it is safe to assume you can use it.

May be they have this disclaimer just to avoid possible support questions.

Rereading the reply from them, it appears to me that they use the phrase "platforms", sounds to me like they did not understand your question. At least from my perspective, "platform" is an operating system, not a programming language.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.