Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] linux and printing gif files

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 27 September 2006]

I have a signature in a GIF file that I need to print out of a Mainframe Linux system. Has anyone ever done this?
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] linux and printing gif files

I know some have resolved this by printing the image on a windows printer, using a postscript driver and redirecting output to a file. The file will contain all the necessary code to print the image, there is a form feed at the end though, which you will want to remove. If you then take this file to your unix system (provided the printer is postscript, otherwise repeat the process with the adequate driver) it should suffice to send this file to the printer pipe.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] linux and printing gif files

Assuming you want to print on a laser printer and you are already using PCL to print everything else you want. You need to create a pcl macro to embed in the rest of your pcl code when you print. One solution that I have used in the past is a program called mkpcl that will take an image and convert it to a pcl macro that you can embed into your code. Just do a search for mkpcl on google. It's not freeware but it is a cheap and a very easy solution.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.