Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] move data from VMS/VAX to windows

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 18 December 2007]

anyone done this
or knows whats involved to transfering the data.
thanks
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] move data from VMS/VAX to windows

I think you have to be more precise with your question. What kind of data and if it is a one time event or going to happen on a regular basis.
As a starter, I can suggest ftp?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Customers that haved moved from VAX previously and using the VAX file system have done the following:
- Write a COBOL program to read the indexed file and write it out as a sequential file
- Transfer the sequential file to the target platform
- Write a COBOL program to read the sequential file and write it out as a Vision file - or using vutil -load to load from the sequential file to Vision
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

need to transfer the data files 165 of them
from VMS to windows.

files are in RMS data format with .dat extention
short of issueing 165 commands to dump the files down to binary
transfer them and then reupload to vision is there an easier way.
trying to automate the process some what for them.
something like run binarydump on the vax, transfer the files, then run binaryupload on the windows box.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I checked with a guy that knows VMS and he stated that with data in RMS you have to use the technique suggested by Dilbert to export the data.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.