Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] option -Zc

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 02 April 2008]

Hello to all,

I'm testing the -Zc option, in project settings, compiler -> miscellaneous options.

"Optimize for smaller code instead of faster code (-Zc)"

Normally, we have active this option, reducing the memory in disk that acu programs need but reducing speed of execution too. At least is what I undestand from the option text. But i deactivate that option and compiling i see that my acu programs goes from 350 kb to 342 kb (for example) in disk space, then... i have doubts... This option really exchange speed for memory in disk and viceversa?

Thanks afterwards
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] option -Zc

Smaller code instead of faster implies that the codesegment may be reduced. I say may be because it is very code dependent on whether it can be optimized or not.
A program that basically does a lot of file IO will for instance not make much of a difference because the file IO does not leave much room for variations.
Math and string handling are areas in which optimization should make a difference, but again, it is a matter of volume to be able to see significant differences.
I agree however, that it is not exactly what your result is not exactly what you would expect.
I suggest you send it to tech support to get an explanation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] option -Zc

Yeah, we are looking to get an upgrade in speed for our acus, no matter if they grow a bit in disk space, but seeing that they loss size... when they must grow up... i'm a bit lost.

I'll advice the tech team. Thanks Gforseth.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.