Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] printer1 -q sharename brings up page setup dialog

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 27 September 2006]

Here's my scenario: label printing application running on 6.2. locally attached usb label printer. cblconfi has printer1 -q sharename;direct=on. works peachy. If the cblconfi has printer1 -q \\uncname\sharename;direct=on then the page setup dialog box comes up every time. Pages setup also comes up if the printer I need to print to is on another PC and the cblconfi is set for that unc and sharename, which is the scenario I really need to operate under. I know that if I do a net use lpt1 \\unc\share and set printer1=prn it will work but the lpt1 port is already is use by another printer/application.

Is there a way to print to a shared printer without bringing up the page setup dialog box?

Thanks,
-Tony
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] printer1 -q sharename brings up page setup dialog

If you are getting the Printer Setup Dialogue window when using the -Q option it means that you have not used a valid printer name after the -Q flag.

You should be aware that it is NOT the \\UNC\Printername that you use - it is the shared name that is in the Printers list.

The best way to find the name to use is to run the prndemox.cbl sample program that comes with the Development System. It shows the how the printer name should be specified for the -Q flag in the combo-box.

I have attached a JPEG that shows the execution of the prndemox program. You can see that if I want to use the -Q flag with the printer in the combo-box I would specify:

-Q \\zeus\HP Laserjet 6P [ + other options like DIRECT, etc.]

You can find the prndemox.cbl source in the directory C:\Acucorp\Acucblnnn\AcuGT\sample where nnn equals the version of Acu that you are using.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] printer1 -q sharename brings up page setup dialog

Excellent. I'm headed out of town but will give that a try. Thanks much.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.